Friday, May 19, 2006

Switzerland Diaries – Chocolates, Time, Nature, Knives, Beauty and Me!!

Day one!!

The first day on the foreign soil was a memorable experience. This beautiful city of Zurich greeted us with rains and temperatures of about 3-4 degrees Celsius!!

We were greeted bu Jorge (AIESTE, Financial Advisor) and Niharika Pande on the airport at the meeting point and it took us about 15 minutes by taxi to find out apartment. One our way I also saw one of those big buildings meant only for parking….first in my life (and it was one of the vary few things I was to see for the very first time I my life as I later came to know).

Apartment is really beautiful. It is a penthouse on the 7th floor with 2 bedrooms, hall, dining room, kitchen, terrace and a lift directly taking us to floor no.7!! All well furnished and with fantastic amenities. We were to pay 1200 CHF as against initially informed CHF 600. But people here assure us that with the salary we are getting, we would still manage comfortably.

Sunday was mostly spent in getting to know the essential places like tram stops and markets from where we can purchase our daily food. Tram stop is like 3 to 4 minutes walking from my apartment. There is also a shop called “On the run” at petrol pump which happens to be one of the many in the chain. Luckily we get everything here. (well almost….)On the same road we visited “Bahnhofstrasse” (main train station) market. (Later we also came to know that it is the biggest shopping place in Switzerland!!)

We purchased some food items and accessories for a couple of days. Dropped them at house and went back to have the first look at UBS building and our workplace!

Rest of the day was quite uneventful except for the fact that we prepared our own food and then cleaned the dishes as well. And too damn successfully to say the least. (Cant help boasting here guys….it was really wonderful)

Menu: Rice, a mix curry vegetable of potato, tomato, onion and some limited spices (tomato batata rassa for those who know Marathi)

First day…….and what a memorable one!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a BM, 06-08 batch XLer. Was interested in knowing more about the AIESEC summer internship program, that you attended. Can you send me the details on harshg03@rediffmail.com ? It would definitely help me a lot, if you could help me out with the same. In case, you can drop me your mobile no., that would be great. Do let me know the time also, when I can call you.